Friday, February 25, 2011

Race and Reproductive Freedoms





RALLY FOR WOMEN'S HEALTH
Saturday, February 25th
1-3 pm
Foley Square

UPDATE: The Rally for Women's Health was a beautiful, inspiring event. Foley Square was filled with a really eclectic group of people.  Part of me was surprised to see so many men standing in solidarity with the women present at the rally; unity of groups like that is such an amazing thing and really adds to the feeling of support. In the days leading up to the rally, the above billboard was the focus of many primetime news segments, radio discussions, and blog posts. There was definitely a mix of outrage and support for the billboard in the news.  While some people felt that this ad was exploiting the African-American community and selfishly playing on fears, others felt that high rates of abortion within communities of color was an important and timely topic to discuss.

At the rally however, it appeared as though the former was more heavily represented.  Staff of Planned Parenthood, women's rights activists, politicians, and artists all took the stage to offer their support for the agency.  A few of them referenced this billboard in outrage, saying that they as Black women refused to become pawns in the pro-life agenda (I am paraphrasing here).  The crowd cheered and there was definitely public support in speaking out against the billboard. Surprisingly, I didn't see any signs that were directed at this billboard, even though it had become a pretty major part of the debate at the time.


And just for fun, here are a few pictures of me, my sign, and my friends at the Rally!


"I'm a woman, NOT a womb!"


The other side of my sign...!!!


And my favorite:


No comments:

Post a Comment