Sunday, February 6, 2011

Where's the White community?

It's hard to feel a part of any community when most White people don't even identify as White. I know that American society is built to serve us, that we are taught the White person's history almost exclusively, that everything around me is constructed to make me feel comfortable and at home.  But somehow, I don't.


I've been reading selections from Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Daniel Tatum.  As I've moved along in the development of my own racial identity, it's been hard to know where I fit anymore.  There's not many spaces where it's acceptable for me to speak openly about race, my past transgressions, and the understanding of myself and others that I'm starting to come to. I don't want to be a burden to my friends that identify as people of color and be constantly talking to them about it; I used to be the person that was always wanting to be taught, and I don't want anyone to feel like I'm asking them to do that for me now.  But at the same time, I know so few white people that have given any thought to the subject.  Back home in Massachusetts, the discussion seems to still be back on whether or not racism still exists - seriously - so it's hard to even move past that to the point of any real conversation.  So where am I left? A few good books, a couple of friends, this one class on ISMs?


I want to become more aware and I want to work against this system of oppression rather than remaining a part and beneficiary of it, but I don't know where I belong in that fight.  Like the black kids who sit together in the cafeteria because they need a group of people who understand what they are dealing with, I want a group of like-minded anti-racist white folks so we can help each other along in this process, and ultimately work more productively and respectfully towards ending racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment